Monday, August 31, 2009

The Query Letter II

Because it's the key to getting in the front door, writers obsess over the query. This is particularly true of those of us new to the world of agents and editors. And there's more than enough advice out there -- just Google "query letter" if you don't believe me.

There are several ways of handling this. You could read through
Jessica Faust's "must-read" posts or subject yourself to Janet Reid's Query Shark. You can go back in time and read the archives of the inimitable and aptly named Miss Snark.

My advice? Skip all that, go to
Nathan Bransford's blog, read everything he has to say about queries, look at the exemplars he has, choose one as your template and copy the format slavishly. That's what I did.

Oh, and don't open with a dependent clause. I'd sent out 18 e-queries before I realized that's exactly what I had done.

1 comment:

  1. you are in reality a just right webmaster. The web site loading speed
    is amazing. It kind of feels that you're doing any unique trick.
    Moreover, The contents are masterwork. you have done a magnificent process
    on this matter!

    Here is my homepage: rv air conditioning

    ReplyDelete