Thursday, September 3, 2009

The First Five Fucking Pages II

So I'm tinkering with chapter one. I considered, briefly, looking for some entirely different way to get into the book, but don't see how that would be gripping. I'd have to make chapter one chapter two then, anyway. And, from standpoint of the soul of the opus, the action in chapter one is what sets off the entire story, not just the action-plot, but the personal journey of the protagonist as well.

So, tinkering. What I've done is to try to provide some extra oomph by giving a hint of what happens in the final chapter, when Our Hero, in jeopardy, faces a difficult choice, to provide a clear reference to Our Hero's previous life, which has brought him to the current time and place, and to give evidence of his inner turmoil.

The theory being that adding these elements will pique the interest of the reading agent and/or editor enough that they will want to read further.

Will it work? Who knows? We shall see.

1 comment:

  1. I think it a good idea to open up with something that hints to the end. Another idea would be start out with the promise of oncoming action or event. Something like: "Before James knew his life was destroyed, he took a swig of his bottle and..."

    You get the idea.
    I haven't started querying yet, I think I'll have my MS ready in the next few weeks though. Good luck, and I'll keep checking in on your tally. Enjoying the blog ;)

    ReplyDelete