Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A Note on Stats

Some of my readers, all eight of them -- wait, I forgot the guy who posts as "Anonymous" -- all nine of them, may have noticed a change in the statistics under "The Writer Abides." I decided that the request I got to see the first chapter -- the one that led to the previous posts on the First Five Fucking Pages -- didn't really constitute a partial request. One chapter's not enough to consider a partial, am I right? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

(By the way, I knew Ben Stein way back in 1970-71, when he was a resident lecturer at Porter College, UC Santa Cruz. He was just as much a pretentious jerk then as he is now, but he had a mass of curly, black hair that was even longer than mine. And mine was pretty long in those days.)

(If you don't know who Ben Stein is, he's the guy famous for being the boringest-teacher-in-the-world in Ferris Bueller's Day Off.)

3 comments:

  1. 1) You've just aged yourself saying that you know Ben Stein from 1970.

    2) I know Ben Stein from the Comedy Central game show "Win Ben Stein's Money" which ran in the late 1990's. Jimmy Kimmel co-hosted it? You may have heard of him... he now has a late night talk show? I guess it might start after your bedtime, old man. ;)

    3) Ben Stein is awesome.

    4) I would consider a request for one chapter a partial, because it is a request for "part" of the book. Glass half full!

    5) Maybe you should just add another column called "Requests for Chapter One" to be fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Amber beat me to the 'dating yourself comment"...
    Ben Stein is an awesomely pompous prick...
    And yes, one chapter is still a partial, I think. At least its beyond the query letter..

    Hope you are able to post on page now. Sorry for the technical difficulties.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I am old, but like red wine, aging well.

    ReplyDelete