Sunday, September 20, 2009

One Month In...

One month into the quest, I've learned a few lessons: (1) this isn't going to be fast; (2) this isn't going to be easy; (3) I'd almost rather get a rejection in the in-box than have nothing there; (4) I probably should have sat on my initial query letter for a couple weeks and/or had some friends critique it before sending it out; (5) it's almost inevitable that you'll still be tinkering with your ms. even after you've said "No more" for the fifth or sixth time; (6) agents expect writers to be too attuned to their system; (7) too many writers are completely clueless about what agents want; (8) the Absolute Write Water Cooler can be addicting; (9) half the people in America with computers are writing a novel; and (10) a lot of the folks in (9) can't write their way out of a paper bag, if their comments in (8) are any clue.

5 comments:

  1. My FAV, of course, is No. 10. So true in many groups. Sometimes, in forums, it seems like the ones in No. 10 are the mainstays and the more seasoned voices cannot get through with sound advice to newbies.

    Terrific blog. Good luck finding an agent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhhh! I totally agree with most of what you said! I got THE CALL. . .only to find out being eighteen is a huge turnoff and now I'm back to the querying. . .she also mentioned that I should know about marketing. . .so here I am, making a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete