Sunday, September 27, 2009

When 7 X 6 = 45

In about a week's time, it'll be six weeks since I sent my first batch of queries off into the cyberverse. Because I did so on a Friday evening, I'm actually going to consider six weeks to be 45 days instead of 42. At that point, I'm going to rack up a number of rejections for the ol' stats. I've pretty much written off all those first 18 queries anyway (except, of course, the one that garnered the request for the partial). I guess I won't count as rejections those who insist they respond good or bad, but in my head they're already rejections. I still have an untouched list of 100 or so agencies -- plus any number of different agents at the agencies I've already hit up. So, in short, it's easy to see how I could be at this for a couple of years yet.

Yikes.

6 comments:

  1. My theory on long wait times: it's not a rejection, it means that you've made it past the agent's assistant, and now you're waiting on the agent, who may take another few months. At least that's what I've been telling myself. If I get the reject within a week, then the agent him/herself never even saw it. Any longer than that, and at least I know there's some shred of interest, whether I'm ultimately rejected or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...just remember all the rejections J.K. Rowling got. Can you say millionaire? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Patience is a virtue... one I haven't mastered yet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been at this almost 5. Still nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The upside in all of this query/rejection thing, is that I've grown a very thick skin.

    ReplyDelete