Thursday, September 10, 2009

Yoohoo! And, Oh, Crap

A request for the full manuscript today! Yoohoo!

But, my friend B. thinks my protagonist is a bit slow and partially guessed pretty early an important element around which the plot revolves. This drives me nuts. My big beta readers, my dad and friend N., loved the book and didn't think the protagonist was dumb. But B. wasn't the first to say what he said.

Hmm. Fucking conundrum. I've been depressed all morning because of what B. said (though also thinking and coming up with ways of fixing it)...and then I get super-undepressed because a serious agency wants to see the whole thing...and then sort of depressed, thinking, but maybe I should "fix" this first...but then, do I really need to "fix" it and...

Oh, fuck.

5 comments:

  1. I'm not sure how long you can make them wait, but as they say, you are writing for the reader. If you have a trusted (unbiased) reader that told you that, maybe you should spend some late nights working on it before sending out your ms. All in all, congratulations! This should be nerve-rackingly exciting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's the fucking conundrum, Jm. The readers who are the big mystery fans see no reason to change it. B. has something guessed right but is way off track on something else. So does it really need to be "fixed"? I've decided to send the ms. as is. If an honest-to-god serious agent wants me to revise it, I'm ready. Hell, I'll change the protagonist to a psychic albino from Bolivia if they say that will help get it published. I'm not proud...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard of a gal who signed with a major NY agency and the agent later told her that she dropped the ball on the second half of the book. He still signed her.

    If the agent like your voice and the story, he or she isn't going to give two shits about a hole in the plot. And if they do, then they're not buying the entire ms anyway--with or without that hole.

    Besides, most people get signed and still need edits. Have faith!

    Oh, and congrats on the full!!! Enjoy your glory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah heck, you got a request. Don't beat yourself up. I've been doingrevisions for a year for my publisher. It sucks, but I always remember what my fave author Mordecai Richler said about his first work, THE ACROBATS. He said it was so awful he paid a large sum of money to keep it out of print. I don't think he was joking either, because I couldn't find it anywhere but at a rare book dealer for $600, until after his death. I'd hate to have to fork out money for something that should be bringing it in. Sounds like you're on your way. If you can write, which obviously you can to get that far, what's a plot tweak? You're way ahead of 99% of the writers out there. Now, go get 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Literary Cowgirl, you make my heart go pitter-pat. Wish I could take you to Tim Horten's and buy you a cup of coffee and a wagon wheel!

    ReplyDelete