Friday, November 20, 2009

Born Under a Bad Sign

No sooner had I posted my chipper, "Jennifer Juniper"-inspired post (see below) than Donovan's little ditty was blown out of my brain and a darker tune started playing. Into my in-box came an e-mail from the agent who'd had my full for over two months, containing a form rejection. No feedback. No way to know if she stopped reading at page one, page five, page fifty...or even read it at all. A serious bummer of a day followed. If I'd had a tube of cookie dough I would have eaten all of it. So much for the "perspective" I so gamely claimed to have found just a couple of days ago. I'd feel better about this if I had another three or four or five partials or fulls out there but as we all know, I don't. Tell 'em how I feel, Starbuck...

9 comments:

  1. Oh, that SUCKS!!!! And, in a bizarre way, the lack of feedback is the worst part (OK, who am I kidding, the lack of an enthusiastic offer of representation is the worst part).

    At least you had the sense to stay away from the cookie dough, or it might have ended up like this for you:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Lljuz99-1g

    ReplyDelete
  2. (((hugs))) Travener and remember...it happens to the best of us.

    Two different agents requested a full of The Trinity Saints and after a very agonizing two month wait, they both came back with rejections.

    I was bummed bit time. BUT...everything happens for a reason so maybe a better deal is heading your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there! My first full reject was form. It sucks, it's cruel, but it's almost like a rite of passage in its own way. And cookie dough does help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Look on the bright side. A friend of mine just received a rejection from an editor. She's already published, by the by. And her agent forwarded the rejection directly to her. She said that instead of a form rejection or helpful feedback, she was personally attacked! The editor said such things as: "You aren't funny!", "You are obviously not well-read!", as well as another couple of doozies. Just be happy you aren't receiving that kind of $hite. Cuz that would make me say, "Frak this, seriously!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear this Travener. I know it must have sucked the soul from your day.
    And Tina Lynn, holy krakow! That is bad, very very bad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sucks. So sorry. And a form rejection? I hate that. So unfair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shit, that sucks. But I'm there with you, Travener. I got the axe yesterday after 4 months of agony.

    Shall we go find the nearest dive bar and drink ourselves into a slurring stupor? There's a magical place called the Brauhaus here in Chicago and they serve up 2 litre boots filled with beer goodness. That'll help us forget.

    Let me know if you're interested. I'll be there this afternoon--the one in the back screaming f-bombs to all of the waitresses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two liters of beer? Sounds fabulous, Abby, but I'll have to take a raincheck. Can't afford the airfare. Sorry to hear your four months of agony only ended in more agony.

    ReplyDelete