Wednesday, November 25, 2009

I Got Nuthin'

Since I've been in a frak-this sort of mood for the past few days, I began to wonder if I'd still want to write if I hadn't read The Cruel Sea in ninth grade -- because it was immediately on finishing it that I decided I wanted to be a writer. I suspect I would. So then I began to wonder what impelled others to write. You tell me. Did you have a Cruel Sea-type epiphany of your own? Was your desire to write the culimination of a long journey? Or have you just always known you wanted to write?

Despite my current state of humorless blahness, I know I have a lot to be thankful for. Being lucky enough to be born in what is, despite its many imperfections, the most gloriously wonderful country in the world. Two smart, well-adjusted kids whom I love more than life itself. Stuff like that. Happy Thanksgiving to my loyal followers -- and anyone else who drops by today.

6 comments:

  1. I've wanted to write since I was very little and read Nancy Drew and Anne of Green Gables. I think writing stems from a love of reading.

    Yay Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite book as a kid was Gordon Korman's "This Can't Be Happening at MacDonald Hall". On the back flap of the book, it revealed that Korman had written it as a 7th grade English project. That was when I realized I could do it too. Unfortunately, I was not published at 12 years of age.

    I just read an article on CNN about paranormal romance in which Laurell K. Hamilton reveals that she was rejected more than 200 times before she was published. She's now a bestselling novelist working on her 19th book. So I'm feeling a little better about things in general. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. C.S. Lewis and his Narnia books. I still have the first story I wrote after having been introduced to them in fifth grade. Happy Thanksgiving folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I've always known for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a big reader and always wanted to write. I started writing stories at a very young age and just kept going. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family! Let us count thanks and not rejections, at least for now.:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I knew I wanted to tell stories before I could even write. My fave was Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang, and I was soo thrilled to find out when I was 14 that Mordecai Richler was actually more of an adult writer, so he has been my favourite writer since grade 3, though Annie Proulx is now a close second.

    Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete