Thursday, December 10, 2009

If You Don't Hear Within 24 Hours...

Here's some interesting stats. From my admittedly small sample, it seems if you're going to get a positive response to your e-query, it's going to happen almost overnight. Of the five (count 'em! five!) positive responses to e-queries I received (2 partials, 2 fulls, 1 send-me-a-chapter), four were received within one day of sending the query; the fifth took 12 days. The overall median response time, positive and negative, was 4.5 days. About 70% of responses were received in a week or less. The longest took 43 days to dribble in to say fuck off. This is, of course, counting only those agents who bothered to respond.

Make of it what you will.

7 comments:

  1. I'm inclined to agree with you. What does that mean?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right. Those numbers sound like mine too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn you. Way to piss on my parade about the ones still out there.:) I did just look at my stats after you posted though and for the most part, you're right. Although I had a few 10+ days. But what is the timeline for the partials and fulls? That's the wait that's even worse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty similar to my experience too. Although I did get one full request from an agent three months after the query. So there are rare exceptions.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My stats-

    1 full- 4 hours
    1 full- 10 minutes
    1 full- 1 hour
    1 partial- 8 hours

    If I don't hear a response in a day, I write it off as a rejection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting. Thanks for the info, Trav. You're like the Enterprise, going where no man has gone before, and reporting back your discoveries.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is interesting because half of my positive responses were over two weeks, the other half one day.

    But, I do tend to write most queries off if I don't hear back within a week. Lately that seems to be happening more often than not.

    ReplyDelete