Monday, December 21, 2009

It's Four Freaking Months Already!

If nothing else, this search for an agent has given me a perspective on how slowly things sometimes move. And I used to work for the government! My ego, always fragile, has been ground beneath the hobnailed boots of the soulless agent wielding the form rejection. My sanity, to which I am tethered by a thin thread, has been tested by multiple attempts to craft the perfect, exactingly perfect, query letter. My hair has gotten a little thinner on top because I keep pulling it out as I try to divine the essential key to unlocking an agent's heart and mind.

Oh, well, what's to do except plunge on, right? It's The System, after all, and you can't beat The System. Sure, sometimes you can, but usually you wind up with something worse, viz., the Bolshevik and Iranian revolutions.

Inspired by some suggested edits by cyberpal Lt. Cccyxx, I took the red pen to chapter one, line by line. I didn't change all that much but did flick away an unnecessary phrase here and there, rearranged some sentences. Generally, "polished" the already beeswaxed verbiage. I'm halfway done with editing the ms. on the computer and will print it out for the, uhm, I don't know, thirteenth or fourteenth time and red-ink it chapter by chapter. That, and having the kids home, will keep me occupied for the next couple of weeks.

Then, the new year...and The Plan. (Cue eerie music.) More on that in a later post...

5 comments:

  1. I'm intrigued about "the plan."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am intrigued by The Plan. Unless it involves Cylons. If that's the case, please let me know so I can retire to my 40 acres of wilderness in Idaho where I will ride out the end of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad my comments were helpful. I'm glad you didn't change the chapter too much because it was pretty darned good the way it was.

    Ooh, I too want to hear The Plan. (Especially because I have none myself - haha.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trav,
    Relax and step away from the bowl. You don't want to flush away your dreams. You are supposed to write because you love it. Stop letting it stress you out. Whatever The Plan is, work on it after Christmas. Now, sit back take a deep breath and enjoy the holidays. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love marking things up with red pen. It's so satisfying.

    I'm going to buy myself red pens for Christmas, then drink myself into eggnog oblivion and use the pens after the new year.

    ReplyDelete