Wednesday, December 23, 2009

My Book Rocks

I finished editing the ms. on the computer (still have the printed-out red-inking to do) and made very few changes. Unbelievably enough, found one error ("somber" when I'd meant "sober").

More important, I like my novel, you know? I hadn't read it all the way through in four months and I found myself as I "turned" the pages wanting to know how it all comes together -- even though I know how it ends! I laughed at the jokes. I mean, maybe I'm completely delusional, but after all the self-doubt occasioned by so many rejections, it's nice to once again feel good about what I've written -- a solid, entertaining novel.

Take that, agents.

Please.

5 comments:

  1. It's nice when you can go back through your novel and actually read it for enjoyment and not want to change a hundred things. I am finally at that point with one of mine. And I have laughed at my own stuff before too--like, oh yeah, I kicked ass right there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And THAT is what writing is really about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous. I want to have that feeling, but first I have to finish writing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. See. Another triumph. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit that I do this with my own novel as sort of a guilty pleasure. But it has a serious benefit, as you've realized: it reminds you that it's worth the effort to keep pushing, keep querying, and not let the rejection (or just plain being ignored) get to you. If rereading my book didn't do that for me, I'd give up...and in that case, it'd probably be for the best.

    ReplyDelete