Monday, January 11, 2010

...And an Itty-Bitty Partial Too

OK, I am on a little bit of a roll here, with a request for a couple of chapters coming in this evening. But I'm too mindful of the past history of these things to get too excited.

One thing I can tell you: if all my partials and fulls out there now (zounds! four of 'em!) come in with nothing more than the usual form rejections -- no commentary at all, no runes to try to decipher, no clues to these agents' thinking -- then I will seriously be in need of an intravenous infusion of Laphroaig. (Talisker on the rocks will do in a pinch.)

UPDATE: And a request this Tuesday a.m. for 100 pages. Well, I may still not know how to write a novel, but it appears I may have finally figured out how to write a decent query. This is going to be hard to write about when all those rejections roll in. (I know -- crappy attitude. OK, I'll think positive(ly)!)

15 comments:

  1. OK, what is the secret. Seriously. I'd like to know.

    And good luck. You're getting closer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I've done this one yet:

    heyyyyyyyyyy, macarena!

    (I've gotta save something fabulous for when you find your agent. Will it be the humpty dance? The safety dance? Time will tell.)

    Congrats on more good news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, man. Hey, let me know when you're running your first webinar on querying, and how much it costs. I'm there.

    I hope that more than just feedback comes out of all this for you. But yes, at the very least, some good feedback: it is the scarcest commodity in this whole process.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your new query must be the shit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! best of luck there... Talisker on the rocks regardless, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Catcher in the Rye is actually a young adult novel. The main character is a teenager, and the voice is told from an active teen voice. It isn't an adult voice reminiscing on his teenage life. Holden is actually engaging the reader in a "this is now" moment, not a "I remember this and this" moment. Plus, a google search yields that it is indeed young adult.

    In any case, at least you know you can write a good query letter. Just pray that you actually do get some feedback. I've read in all manner of places that a form rejection sometimes means the agent's not feeling it, it's just not a right fit, or that there could actually be something wrong with your story. Whatever the case, keep your fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you change the query substantially? What did you do, dude? You're going to have to tell the secret to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sierra, I did two things. One, I let Kara (up there in comments four and five) critique it and she did a good job. Second, I gave away more of the plot, in particular, the love-interest part of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats! I've got a full out now on my first manuscript, Visions Awake. Since publication of The Trinity Saints fell through, I'm back to square one.

    I've got every appendage possible crossed for ya bud. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woo-hoo! I'm sending positive wishes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are indeed on a roll. Now you just have to choose between all these agent offers-of-representation coming your way.

    p.s. I left something for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay for so many requests!!! Happy 2010 to your novel!

    ReplyDelete