Saturday, January 2, 2010

Cosmetic Surgery

A new year demands a new attitude, a new look. Well, maybe it doesn't, but I decided on it anyway. Regular readers -- welcome to Shelly and Kit, Followers 24 & 25, by the way -- may have noticed I futzed with TBL's color scheme a bit. Not really overjoyed at the result, but I couldn't come up with anything better. (Great set-up for any number of marriage- or relationship-related jokes.) Also, I deep-sixed most of the stats -- queries sent, rejected, etc. -- because...well, they were just getting embarassingly large, absurdly so, and getting on my nerves. So, fuck it, they're history. If a numeral ever appears in the last line of "The Writer Abides," then I'll recapitulate the lamentatious statistical abstract of rejection.

As promised, I rewrote my synopsis over the holiday break in more narrative form. It came out at not quite six double-spaced pages. Too long, too short? You know what? I don't give a fuck. It's my synopsis from now on and that's that. There's some 2010 attitude for ya. I finished re-editing the ms. for the fourteenth (fifteenth?) time. Hardly changed a thing. So, it's my ms. from now on and that's that. The first chapter has a couple short grafs grafted on to the beginning that give it a more conventional tone. Those are now my opening grafs and that's that.

A maybe not-so-cosmetic change in the offing. I started this blog to catalogue the search for an agent and only the search for an agent, as so many others write about so much else. I'm running out of things to say on that score. So I may be posting less often in 2010. Particularly since I need to go find myself a day job to stave off further financial ruin. Or I may post about other stuff. We'll see how that goes. Check back next week for a rundown on The Plan.

5 comments:

  1. I like the new look. Although, I'll admit, I don't remember the old. Was it much different?

    Here's to new attitudes in the new year. May we'll all have something to brag about before it's done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog posts so much, I hope that you choose to continue to post about other things, even if there isn't much to say on the agent front.

    Good luck with the job hunt! Any chance you're a tech guy? (This is Seattle after all.) I know of a couple of good programming/tech related jobs that should be opening soon....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt -- the old look wasn't much different 'cept for colors.

    TCTBVI -- Travener = tech-illiterate. I can barely make a call on my cellphone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh... I'm a number. I'm rather overjoyed. I like the number 25. I have synaesthesia so that's blue and red. Perfect.

    I may just leave my name behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mostly read you on my feed so didn't notice the cosmetic changes. I liked your stats but you could always move to just updating them in a post every week or few.

    I second Too Cute - I hope you'll keep posting regularly, if not about the query quest then about other stuff.

    I wrote a 1000 word synopsis and now am finding tons of agents who want a 500 word synopsis. Figures. I'll have to write one sooner or later - for now I'm simply not querying those agents! Ha. (wait, or is the joke on me?)

    I am not sure if I could be helpful jobwise, but I'm in D.C. and come across lots of stuff, so feel free to get in touch if you think there's anything I could do - I'd be happy to help.

    ReplyDelete