Tuesday, March 23, 2010

It's OK to Laugh Now (True Story, Part Deux)

OK, the deal is that a couple of weeks ago the agent who had my full e-mailed me to tell me how much she loved it, though she thought it needed some revising.  Woohoo, I said, and said no problem about revising.  She was then supposed to call me in a few days.  And didn't.  So I freaked out, of course.  Had she changed her mind?  Been hit by a bus?  Been kidnapped by al-Qaeda?  I was loathe to check with her, not wanting her to think I was one of those "whiny writers" that we know all agents dislike.  Thus, the true story I was in the middle of, not knowing whether it would end with me crying at this lost chance or laughing at my freaking out.

So I'm laughing.  (Not really.  But I'm not crying.)  Because she called.  Whew!

Now, I have not got an offer of representation here.  But we had a great chat, and the revisions we talked about don't seem too onerous.  Mostly trimming and shuffling about.  Once that's done -- then she'll make up her mind about representing me.  Hey, I couldn't ask for more.  (Well, I could.  But won't.)

More important, she understands my book, is clearly a great person, works for a real agency that's sold tons of mysteries and thrillers and such.  So.  Good news, for once.  I'd be in hog heaven if I had a signed agreement in hand, but this is pretty good after so much dreary news and I'm taking it and running with it.

19 comments:

  1. That is monumental, man. CONGRATULATIONS! And best of luck with those revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY! YAY! YAY!

    Congrats, this is a huge step. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo! Congrats! That's awesome. Good luck with the revisions. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. FANTASTIC!!! What did a real agent's voice sound like? I've been wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot dog! I just hope this doesn't change the lovable Teddy bear we all know you as.

    Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HURRAH!!! That is fantastic news, Travener. Best of luck on those edits--it sounds like you might be on the verge of being agented.

    Good luck, good luck!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um. I am so excited for you! I just flat out did the worm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounding good! Fingers crossed for you.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That definitely falls into the category of good effing news! Congrats and get crackin' on those revisions. I look forward to seeing your triumphant blog post about getting The Call.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is HUGE! I mean...she called you? That's so exciting! That's almost a "yes" far as I'm concerned. If I ever have an agent (a real agent) ask for revisions I will bend over backwards to give them what they want. Good luck with it.

    Wishing you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wooo Hooo! I'm so happy for you! Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is amazing, wonderful news!!! WHOO HOO! How are the revisions going? Good luck and can't wait to see the updated news when you have some!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Woohoo! I hope it's not the same agent who did that to me. I slaved on reworking bits of my manuscript and then when I resubmitted, she acted like she didn't know me.

    Hope you you have better luck!

    Oh and congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow-- this is great news! Can I ask, how long did the agent have the full before she got back to you?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks, guys -- here's hoping.

    Nick -- about six weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yay! That's great news! Good luck with the revisions! :)

    ReplyDelete