Friday, May 14, 2010

My Ten Favorite Literary Agents

Hi, devoted followers and those who wander in.  I haven't blogged much lately because I've had nothing to say and have been devoting so much time to writing stupid articles for the online Man, trying to keep the wolf outside the door, which has left me exhausted, but slightly less poor. 

Anyhoo, here's my list of favorite literary agents I've encountered over the past nine (!) months of AgentQuest (TM).  Now, understand, all of these agents rejected me.  (Not me.  My book.  Repeat.  Not me.  The book.)  This list does not contain the nice agent lady currently working through some edits on my ms.  (You don't seriously expect me to share her with you, do you?) But these ten either rejected my full/partial/query with some helpful commentary and/or responded to my query with alacrity and a form rejection that seemed above par.  I won't say which did which, as I want to preserve my anonymity and what's left of my dignity. I would recommend querying any of them, if you need an agent and if your genre fits their interests.  Herewith, in no particular order, my top ten agents:

Ann Collette, Helen Rees Literary Agency
Anna Cottle, Cine/Lit Representation
Sorche Fairbank, Fairbank Literary Representation
Kate Lee, International Creative Management
Laney Katz Becker, Markson Thoma
Renee Zuckerbrot, Renee Zuckerbrot Literary Agency
Daniel Lazar, Writer's House
Nathan Bransford, Curtis Brown
Jenny Bent, Bent Agency
Paige Wheeler, Folio Literary Management

Of course, your mileage may vary, and they could wind up behaving like complete jerks with you...

8 comments:

  1. Anne Collete is AWESOME. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Trav. This is great! I'm going to add these folks to my list...well, the ones who haven't already rejected me (two of them have rejected me and one ignored my query...though I see from her website that can actually requery her). And nope, Nathan wasn't one of them. Haven't queried him. Um, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trav, about the laziness comment. I apologize. I just assumed you were. On account of your being a guy. BUT you should also know that I consider laziness to be the true enlightened state to which all humans should aspire.

    You know, as regards your actual post, these folks above put to shame all those agents who do the evil no response = no thing. Who gets more queries than Nathan Bransford? Probably no one and yet he manages to respond to them all. I think, at bare minimum, agents should do an auto-responder that says: "Got it. If we want to see more, we'll let you know." Effortless on their part and at least you know the email was received.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Right you are, Kristen. And I didn't take the laziness thing as an insult--just the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, thanks! A great list and a few names that are new to me. I agree....the "no response means we don't like it and can't be bothered to reply" is, quite frankly, bullshit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a pretty cool thing to post about -- I like that you said each of these gave feedback. Good PR for them. Thanks for listing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Travener, thanks, that will be very useful once I've exhausted my list of UK agents.

    By the way, here's hoping your creative writing flow is unblocked soon (if it hasn't been already). Glad to hear that you're getting some paid writing work too.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete