Friday, May 7, 2010

Nice Agent Lady: Still Nice

Whew.  The nice agent lady got back to me, said she was still working through my ms., not wanting to rush it, while dealing with the typical kaleidoscope of queries, foreign rights, printer break-downs, admin crap & cetera, and said she was sorry not to have let me known sooner that it was going to take longer than she'd thought to finish the edits.  This is why I call her the nice agent lady.

I sort of feel bad, because I have twice doubted her and now twice been shown to be a paranoid twit.  I think searching for an agent does this to you.  Well, it has done it to me.  So...I shall now relax about the whole thing.  I told her to please take her time.  The delay itself doesn't bother me.  This whole process has proven to be so ridiculously long that throwing a few more months in the way won't make a difference.  In fact, I have thought that delay might be good: if the economy continues to improve and publishers start to crawl out from under their beds, they might loosen up a bit, giving more of us newcomers whose books don't have "next Dan Brown" written all over them a better shot.

And I've got that WIP now to work on.  So...big exhale...big inhale...big thanks, nice agent lady.

15 comments:

  1. I don't think "paranoid twit" is at all accurate - you're right to be concerned when so much time goes by and you don't hear anything. Maybe you could set an approximate time to check in with nice agent lady if you don't hear from her, so it's not so open-ended and you don't have to worry that too much/too little/whatever time has passed since you last communicated with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy moly!! Awesome news! I bet you let out a big sigh of relief.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome. Though, I understand your fear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great to hear. Isn't it funny how a simple check-in can make you feel so much better? I got an "it's going to take a little longer" update letter from the editor who has my full this week as well. After nearly having a heart attack when I saw the dreaded SASE, I was happy to hear SOMETHING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's exciting! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think paranoia comes with the territory.

    All the best with your writing journey.

    You've got a good blog here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay. Nice agent lady. Good girl. She is going to sign you! I just feel it in my boobs. Er, I mean, bones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we all breathed a sigh of relief with you.

    Yes, you'll be signed before the summer is gone.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I read this and I wonder... are we dealing with SAME nice agent lady? I even call her that... hmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BREATHE, my friend. Breathe. :) Breathing is good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. See? This is all we want as writers. An update. We'll wait forever (well, almost) if we just know what's going on. Glad to hear that she is still nice. I'll erase the little horns and beard I drew on her picture now.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Man, I was holding my breath until I hit to finish the edits at which point I was all "Woohoo!". That's so much better than if she'd replied to start reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay for getting news from her! Hope you hear soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad she's still nice! I'm watching and reading and waited with baited breath for you!

    ReplyDelete