Thursday, February 10, 2011

To Nudge or Not to Nudge

That is the question.  One agent's had my full since mid-September, so not quite five months.  Should I bother to check in with her or just let it ride?  Seems to me the few times I've ever nudged all I did was prompt a reject, but I'm sort of anxious to clear the decks on this thing.


  1. Oh geesh. That's a hard one. There's nothing on her site about waiting times? If it were me, I would maybe wait until the five month mark, then send a nudge. If it were me telling YOU what to do, I'd say wait until the six month mark. (See, that's me being honest. I can't wait. Ever. So I hardly ever follow my own advice.)

    Good luck, Travener, with whatever you decide to do! =)

  2. I think nudge after February. It's true nudges prompt rejections, so be careful. If the agent blogs, check the blog and see if they say they're overloaded or anything.

    And remember that fulls usually get read after a time.

  3. I think I'd def nudge, but I am horridly impatient. I agree with Sierra though. I'd check that agent's blog or twitter first and see if they've updated their status on reading submissions. Good luck!

  4. Don't nudge. Nudges prompt rejections in part because they show the agent that you're impatient. In publishing, EVERYTHING takes much longer to happen than one would ever imagine, so agents want clients that can deal with that. Also, and this is going to sound silly, the fact that the agent hasn't outright rejected your manuscript yet should give you hope. Even if gossamer thin, hope is good. Why would you put that hope at risk?

  5. Hi there! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO?
    I'm trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I'm not seeing very good success.
    If you know of any please share. Cheers!

    My site; bodybuilder