Saturday, January 7, 2012

E-Books and My Discontents

So I'm formatting my book for publication on Kindle, Nook, etc., and among the things I discover (not having a Kindle or a Nook) is that you can't control the font in which it appears, and basically you have to publish it in fecking NY Times Roman, which is pretty much taking over the world. I wanted to go with Garamond. Plus there's no page numbers, no headers and footers and stuff . . . why, it takes book design back a thousand years.

Harrumph.

UPDATE: Also, formatting for Kindle means you put it first in HTML, which fecks up small caps and a lot of other little things, which in my case required re-doing the first line of each chapter, which'd been in all small caps . . . and other stuff. Sheesh.  I will do this for Kindle and Nook and then leave the rest to Smashwords and their "metagrinder technology" (like sausage, I guess you don't want to watch e-books being formatted).

8 comments:

  1. I knew there weren't page numbers. Are you publishing only as an E-book? I hope not. There are as many people without electronic readers as with.

    On another note, your blog loads faster than any I visit. I appreciate that, being such a busy woman and all.

    Good luck! I can't wait to read your novel. And I mean that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can the reader/buyer change the font?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yvonne: I have no plans to publish a dead-tree version myself. Advantage of e-booking is that it costs the author nothing.

    Roland: Yes, they can. All power to the consumer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. E-books have the advantage of being cost effective and don't have to be read on e-readers. They can be read on computer, tablet, smartphones.
    Congratulations on your publishing venture. What are you calling your company? I always think you should create a publishing company name.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ariel - I'm calling it Ploughshare Point, which is a rough translation of my (Norwegian) surname.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that name!
    Looking forward to reading your book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ariel - send your e-mail to travener@gmail.com and I'll be sure to send you the "birth" announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Will do!!! I think this is great. The thing about ebooks is a writer can take their future into their own hands!

    ReplyDelete