Saturday, March 3, 2012

Good Reviews or Hot Sales -- Which Is Better?

Another very nice review at Amazon gives Tainted Souls five stars, lauding it as "definitely worth the read." The reader said the book reminded him of "the old detective movies," which is a great compliment in my book (pun unintended, but I'll take it).


Of course, it would be nice if more people were buying the book, too, not that I have any illusions on that score.  Still, it's frustrating trying to figure out how to just make readers aware of the book's existence. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat; it's a challenge for writers whose books are traditionally published, too, so you can imagine how much more difficult the task is for the self-published. On the other hand, looking to the future, I suppose I'd rather have great reviews and low sales than modest sales and crappy reviews. As delicate as my bank account is, I think my ego is even more fragile. (Of course, probably like most, I'd happily accept a boatload of bad reviews for bestsellerdom; who wouldn't?)


What about you? Would you rather sell a couple thousand copies of a book that gets so-so reviews or a few hundred copies of a book that garners lots of praise?

1 comment:

  1. I'd go for thousands paying over hundreds praising, unless the thousands paying were really, really mean.

    ReplyDelete